Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Commons

Ok, so I haven't written in a few weeks, and kinda forgot how this whole thing worked. Somehow, while trying to write a new post, I wound up "following" my blog, which, from what I gather, means that whenever the author of this blog (me) posts something new, I will be alerted. This is heaps useful. I would have thought that, as long as I remain conscious, I will remain up to date with everything I put online, but I guess it's always good to make sure. Despite this little hiccough (as if that's how you spell hiccup) I soldiered on, and here I am writing again.

Why did I bother? Well, a number of reasons. Firstly, I noticed that my blog now has a follower, so I wouldn't want to let that person down. Secondly, this gets assessed, so you know. Kinda has to be done. Thirdly, it's important that I learn how to use the internet! No, really. It's related to the idea of "the commons", which was an idea I learnt about in the article, "Reclaiming the Commons" by David Bollier.

Basically, "the commons" refers to the things that a countries people "collectively own, but which are rapidly being... privatized, traded in the market, and abused." A "common" that springs to mind for me is Australia's beaches, which are not owned by anyone, and can therefore be used by anyone. This is one "common" that thankfully remains non-privatized and free for all. The idea of "commons" isn't restricted to just pieces of land; another example that springs to mind is radio. Anyone in Australia who has access to a radio is allowed to listen to it in their own home. However, organisations such as gyms need to pay a fee in order to legally play the radio over their speakers. I don't really care about that though, as I don't run a gym, or attend a gym, so it doesn't directly affect me.

So here's something I do care about. It relates to this year's election. I need not remind everyone that the election was super-close this year, and it was only last week that we wound up with a government. Personally, I couldn't believe how close the election was. The points that the Coalition argued all seemed ridiculous to me, but one in particular relates to this concept of the commons.

The mining tax. The idea behind the Labour party's proposed mining tax was to tax mining companies a small amount of their profit. The mining companies are the most successful industry in Australia, and are making a whole lot of money from digging up minerals from the ground. Do these mining companies own everything that  can be found underground? No, they do not. These minerals are a common, just as our beaches are. These minerals belong to Australia, not to those who have the equipment required to dig them up. The mining companies are making a profit from a common, so it seems logical that a small portion of the money earned by those who dig up the minerals goes back to the Australian people.

However, the Coalition strongly opposed the mining tax. The idea of Australian-produced minerals being a common was not discussed. For me, this would have been enough to decide against voting for the Coalition. However, many people voted for the Coalition, many of which, seemingly, believed that the mining tax was a bad idea.

This leads me to the point which is essentially where Bollier ends up in his article about the commons. Commons are dying out, as many people are no longer aware that commons exist at all, unconsciously believing everything to be privatised. The commons are dying out, as less people are aware of them.  Though many who use it aren't aware, the internet is a common. It is something that is owned by no-one. People can create websites if they choose to, interact with others, and have their say in a world-wide public forum. Doing these things is free. The internet is one of few commons which remain, and undoubtedly, one of the most important. Through the internet, the commons live on. Bollier's article gave me a new found appreciation for the internet, and I now feel there is sufficient reason for me to learn to use it better.

Finally, I would like to mention that I had written just about this whole thing before my computer turned off when a cord was moved. I feared that this whole piece of writing may have been lost, but when I restarted the computer I found that my piece had been automatically saves, and was tucked away, safe and sound, in a drafts folder of this website. God bless the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment