Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trust

Trust is an essential component of any successful community. For example, when I venture out of my house each morning, I trust that I won't be attacked or harassed by others. This trust allows me to function healthily, and go about my business without worrying about any possible repercussions that could come about as a result of me leaving the house. 


Social networking websites have essentially created an interactive online community, which also requires a level of trust from it's users in order to function healthily. If users of social networking sites worried endlessly about the possible negative implications that could arise from using any of these websites, there would be a reluctance to share information or opinions with others. This would result in less interaction on these websites, which, eventually, would most likely lead to the death of social networking websites. As long as a level of trust remains, however, these websites will continue to grow in stature.


Writing this blog I trust that my thoughts and opinions will be treated with respect by those that read this. I trust that those in charge of social networking websites will not give out any personal information I may have needed to provide to start this blog. I trust that people who read this won't use this blog to gain information which could aid them in robbing my house. Basically, I trust that there's nothing to worry about, even though it's conceivable that something could go wrong, as a result of me writing this blog. This allows me to say whatever I want, and interact with others online in any way I feel comfortable. 


It seems that many others share my tendency to trust social networking websites, as just about everyone I know, grandparents aside, has a Facebook page. This trust towards the internet hasn't always existed though. Rachel Hills wrote in an article in The Age that "Back in the late 90s, the internet was seen as a mire of pedophiles and potential stalkers". Hills remembers her reluctance to give away any personal information whatsoever during that period, then points out that "Ten years later, the online world is a very different place". (Hills, 2007) Similarly, I can remember being told a cautionary tale in primary school, about someone who told an online pen-pal that they had got a great new TV, only to have it stolen from their house weeks later. The message was clear; "Don't tell anybody anything personal!"


But the times, they are a-changin'. (I don't need to cite Bob Dylan as a reference do I?) 


Websites such as Facebook have flourished as a result of an increase in trust for social networking websites, and the internet in general. Information that was once with-held, is now being shared without a second thought, meaning that websites such as Facebook are being used much more frequently. For example, I have noticed that there is a trend to use Facebook as a means of inviting a group of people to a birthday party. It's easy to do; one only needs to "create an event", then select the friends they want to invite. Often, there is a message that comes with these invitations, saying something along the lines of "Send me your addresses, and I'll post you a proper invitation". It seems that for the most part, people have no problem writing down their address on the wall of the event, a place where everyone else who is invited can see it, and sometimes, if the event isn't classified as a private one, a place where anyone on Facebook could see it if they so chose to. This information, when combined with say, a status update about having a free-house, or another about going to work, would probably be enough to give my primary school teacher a hernia.


The same can be said about the "I like it" game on Facebook, which took place a few weeks ago, in an attempt to raise awareness about breast cancer. The game encouraged women to post where they like to keep their handbag. The idea was that people post things such as "I like it on the floor", or "I like it on the dinner table", so that those who read it find it shocking, then wonder why said woman has written such a seemingly inappropriate status update. They then find out that it's related to helping the breast cancer cause, which gets them talking about it to others, and perhaps even writing their own status updates. 


It amazed me that people had no qualms about telling all of their Facebook friends where they keep their handbag. Surely, that's just an invitation for burglars? Apparently not. The "I like it" game has come and gone, and I have heard no reports of a handbag-snatching epidemic. 


While many people have a tendency to over-share personal information on websites such as Facebook, for the most part, it isn't causing any negative repercussions. I believe that since the era I referred to earlier, (which Rachel Hill's wrote about, with the internet being thought of as full of pedophiles and what-not) users of social networking websites have slowly shared more and more information, and have seen that generally, no harm comes from it. As a result of this, people continue to push the boundaries of sharing information with others. 


Of course there are many negative stories regarding experiences with social networking sites, such as people who have written things on Facebook such as "Faking a sicky today!", then subsequently been fired from their job the next day. These stories remind everyone to be careful, but generally speaking, they don't have a huge influence on people's online lives. In the meantime, those that use social networking sites will continue to share more and more personal information, like a child pulling back an elastic band. It will be an interesting day when that elastic band is eventually released, or snaps, and as a society, we have to rethink our attitudes towards our online lives. Until that day, however, trust will continue to grow, and people will continually share more information that they perhaps shouldn't. In the meantime, we should enjoy the trust that exists for the online community, which encourages interaction, creativity, and allows us to express whatever we please. No-one knows when the elastic band might snap. Enjoy my blog while you can.


Works cited:
Hills, Rachel, 12/8/2007 "In Myspace, everyone can see you preen", The Age
Available: 
http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/connection-versus-privacy/2007/08/11/1186530671382.html [online]
Accessed: 21/10/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment